Sunday 15 October 2017

October week - part 1



I had arranged to take the second week of October off and had rented a mobile home from a friend just outside Trimingham on the north-east Norfolk coast. In the weeks leading up to that there had been precious little east winds and my week off was looking no different. The forecast predicted all westerlies and strengthening as the week progressed. Expectations were rock-bottom but despite that I got off to a reasonable start with a Norwich garden tick in Coal Tit before leaving for Trimingham.
I stopped off first at Happisburgh en route where I picked up a Yellow-browed Warbler in the willows at the end of the bowling green. Sadly though that was as good as it got. A few Goldcrests in the sycamores, Meadow Pipits around the coast watch buildings and several Redwing passing overhead were the other highlights.
I dropped my stuff at the caravan in Trimingham and walked along the cliff edge and down to the beach. I couldn’t even dig out a Chiffchaff but there were still the odd bird coming in off the sea. Three Meadow Pipits calling as they reached the cliff face and a Blackbird who skilfully out-manoeuvred a voracious Great black-backed Gull just as it reached landfall.
I made a quick beer run to nearby Mundesley and stopped at a nice little spot along the road on the way back where I a single Chiffchaff and a second ‘possible’ Yellow-browed Warbler.
I sipped a cool beer as the light faded with the sounds of Pink-footed Geese arriving into Norfolk for the coming winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment