Friday 19 December 2014

The twelve birds of Christmas - part three

The fifth bird

Common Redstart is one of my favourite of all bird species however they are now restricted as a breeding bird in Norfolk to a handful of locations in the brecks.
By mid / late April a male bird was reported from East Wretham Heath. I've never met with much success trying to photograph Redstarts, so to give myself the best chance of a shot and to minimise any disturbance to the birds I tried the sit and wait approach, or rather lie and wait. I placed the lens on a bean bag, got down on my belly and waited...........three hours later I had some reasonable shots, although my back and shoulders were killing me and my bladder at the end of it all was ready to burst.



Common Redstart, East Wretham Heath, Norfolk - April 2014
 All shots taken on a bean-bag with a shutter speed of 1/160, ISO400 and a focal length 700mm.


The sixth bird

Returning to my spring visit to Magee Marsh, Ohio, Prothonotary Warblers were ever present during my stay there and indeed a few pairs breed along the board-walk. To me they are one of the most attractive and striking of the American Warblers, vivid bright golden head and underparts and contrasting blue wings. I didn't manage decent shots until the last day, in fact I was just about to leave the board-walk for the final time when this fine male bird posed well for me.



Prothonotary Warbler, Magee Marsh, Ohio - May 2014



All shots taken on a tripod with a shutter speed of 1/200, ISO200,  focal length 700mm and using an external flash and fresnel lens / better beamer.





No comments:

Post a Comment