Monday 2 September 2013

Manky gulls

After all the migrant action of the last week it was back to brass tacks as Nick, John and I headed to Southwold, Suffolk to check through the hordes of manky gulls in the hope of finding some sub-adult Yellow-legged or Caspian Gulls. It was far more of a challenge trying to pick out something from the hundreds of Herring Gulls than I expected. I admit to being a complete novice when it comes to ageing sub-adult white headed gulls. In South-west Ireland, gulling usually involved looking for and ageing white winged gulls or attempting to find a Ring-billed Gull. Caspian Gulls are rarer there than here in the UK (I think they would require a description for the IRBC, however not so for the BBRC).
Anyway, we drew a blank although I did enjoy some mighty fine fish and chips while I was in Southwold. A rather tatty looking adult Med Gull was bird of the day.
We need some easterlies me thinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment